Courthouse graphic

Effective Thursday, March 19, 2020, Brown County will be limiting public access to Brown County departments and offices to take preventative measures designed to reduce the spread of the Coronavirus illness. We are making arrangements to adjust services to be in the best interest of the employees and citizens of Brown County and following the interim guidance as provided by KDHE and the CDC. Information on the changes of services will be posted to the Brown County website and Brown County Facebook page Brown County Kansas Government as they become available.

There have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Brown County. Please follow the Brown County Health Department for official updates regarding COVID-19.

Brown County Courthouse: The doors of the Brown County Courthouse will be locked and citizens should call to make appointments with the offices as needed. Anyone entering the courthouse may be required to submit to a brief health screen, including, but not limited to, the taking of your temperature, prior to gaining entry.

If you have any symptoms similar to the flu, including fever, cough or shortness of breath, please do not make an appointment until your symptoms have subsided and you have been fever free for at least 72 hours.

Treasurer’s Office: 785-742-2051

No renewals (stickers) will be completed in person. Please renew online (; or by mail (mail to 601 Oregon Street, Hiawatha, KS 66434). You can reprint your vehicle registration notice online at our website

For completion of title work on a vehicle purchase, please call the office at 785-742-2051 for an appointment. Please call regarding refunds on sold/disposed vehicles.

Please follow the link on our website to pay current real estate, property and truck taxes. You may also mail your payment in.

Please call the office at 785-742-2051 with questions between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Or email We appreciate your patience in keeping all of our community members safe.

Clerk’s Office: 785-742-2581

Voter registrations can be completed online at

Fish and game licenses are available online at http://kdwpt.state/

If you would rather fill out a paper copy, please call the Clerk’s Office to request the document be mailed.

If you need assistance, please call the office at 785-742-2581 or email

Register of Deeds Office: 785-742-3741

If you have documents to be dropped off for processing please call the office for an appointment to meet them at curbside.

Record searches may be completed online. Please call the office for more information.

County Attorney’s Office: 785-740-7401

You may contact us via email with questions or concerns ( or ).

You may also leave a message at our office phone number although email may be the quickest way of reaching us due to court obligations.

Appraiser’s Office: 785-742-7232

Appeal Hearings-If you are scheduled or need to schedule an appeal hearing, please contact our office.

If you have Personal Property questions please call our office.

District Court: 785-742-7481

If you are scheduled for jury duty or court, or have any questions or concerns that could be answered by phone, please call 785-742-7481, fax 785-742-3506, or email

If you need to pay fines or fees- please call in advance to find out the amount you owe. Payments shall be cash in the exact amount or a money order payable to the Brown County Clerk of the District Court in the exact amount. You will need to call for an appointment to meet a staff member at curbside to make payment.

Road & Bridge: The Road & Bridge department office will be locked at all times and no citizen or vendor entry will be allowed. Please knock on the door and if someone is available to assist you, we will greet you outside.

Solid Waste: The Solid Waste department (Transfer station) will continue operations as normal with a few exceptions.

Construction demolition drops- please call prior so we can have the paperwork ready for you upon arrival.

Noxious Weed: If you are coming to pick up Noxious weed chemicals, please call 785-547-3552 PRIOR to coming.

Emergency Management: The Emergency Management facility will be closed to the public. If you need to contact this office please call the office at 785-742-1212 or 402-245-7159.

If you have a medical emergency please call 911.

Community Corrections: 785-742-3650

This office will be closed to the public. If you are required to check in with your probation officer please call the office to schedule an appointment and/or further instructions.

Services for the Elderly: 785-742-7881

Call the office with any questions concerns.

The Board of Brown County Commissioners, elected officials and appointed officials will be continuing to assess the situation and will provide updates and make changes as necessary. We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause the citizens of Brown County, however, the health and safety of our employees and citizens is our priority. Thank you for your cooperation in this ongoing situation.

Brown County Government would like to urge and encourage businesses and citizens to take active steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The health and safety of our community is our top priority. Take simple steps to prevent the spread of diseases by COVID-19 by: Washing your hands; avoiding close contact with people who are sick; covering your coughs and sneezes; avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands; clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces; stay home when sick. Stay up to date with COVID-19 information by visiting:

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.