The Hiawatha Fire Department and other emergency personnel responded to a report of smoke at the Hiawatha Middle School Monday night.
This came after the department responded to a downed power line south of town that caused a widespread power outage and brown out. According to HFD Chief Gene Atland, the power line sparked a little, but they got it shut down right before the call came of smoke at HMS around 7 p.m.
Atland said firefighters located the cause of the smoke quickly to a burned up HVAC motor blower, which potentially caught fire due to the electrical brown out.
Atland said there was no damage and the smoke cleared quickly. School officials reported classes resumed as normal on Tuesday.